Lake Baikal became a participant of the international contest «New 7 wonders of the world». The contest was organized by the international non-commercial fund of the same name. It chooses among unique natural places with no influence of civilization. (www.new7wonders.com).
300 contenders participate in the contest for this title in Northern and Southern America, Africa, Europe, Asia and Oceania. Russia is represented by six natural objects in Europe and Asia. They are as follows:
- the Baikal (Irkutsk region and the Republic of Buryatia)
- virgin forests of Komi (the Republic of Komi)
- Kurshskaya kosa (split) (Kaliningradsk region, on the border with Lituania)
- Lake Ubsu – Nur (the Republic of Tyva, partially - Mongolia)
- River Dnieper (Smolensk region, Russia shares the river with Byelorussia and Ukraine).
One may vote for «the glorious sea» at www.inpath.ru and at the official site (English) www.new7wonders.com/nature/. Voting is held up to July 7, 2009. Later twenty one finalists will be chosen and final voting will start.
Возврат к списку новостей